WELCOME TO THE
WONDERFUL WORLD OF YEAR 1
WOW! It has been a very busy start to the year! These are some of the things we have been doing:
- Going to swimming lessons
- Participating in the school swimming carnival
- Meeting the Eagles players
- Making fruit and vegetable face for our school’s Crunch and Sip launch
- Learning protective behaviours and how to keep ourselves safe
- Questioning Notre Dame medical students
- Reading the books “This is the Bear” and “What Colour Are Your Knickers?”
- Structuring good sentences
- Sounding out words for our writing
- Diary writing
- Sequencing events from a story
- Developing goals for use to work towards achieving by the end of the year
- Learning rules for how to measure length
- Creating addition and subtraction number sentences
- Using counting on strategies to find the total of two numbers
- Ordering numbers to 50 using our washing line
- Finding symmetrical items and creating symmetrical bears
- Creating patterns for our friends to solve
- Visiting the library to change our books and participate in reading groups
- Having science with Miss Rogerson
- Doing health and PE with Mr I
- Using the art room with Mrs Chant and Mr Walker for art
Please come in and visit our classroom, we have lots of wonderful work up at the moment and would love to share it with you all.
Thank you to everyone for reading with your child/children at home. I understand that sometimes this may not be the easiest of tasks to complete, and I appreciate your patience and effort.
It is extremely important for your child/children to be reading at home as well as at school. It helps them to understand that learning goes on outside of school and that you as their parents are also an important part in the learning process. It is also really great practice!
If you are having difficulties getting your child to read please do not hesitate to contact me in person or via your child’s communication book and I will be more than happy to schedule a meeting to discuss this with you.